7.05.2010

XMLovin' (part two of the series)

I was fortunate to have IRLS 672 follow on the heels of 515. Organization of Information, with Hong Cui, provided me with a hefty dose of XML recently enough that it's still doing me some good. One resource, of course, that I keep going back to is W3Schools. I can barely abide the layout and appearance of their site, however, and I root around for other tutorials. There's a lot on the web, but sometimes it's not particularly well organized. Google is many things, but it's not a proper index.

I'm a big fan of the O'Reilly books, which almost always have very proper indexes, and 'Learning XML' is available electronically through the ASU library. It's holding up well for its advanced age (a seven-year-old computer book is at least pushing 70 in dog years). On the day I start a serious XML project, 'XML in a Nutshell' will be on my desk.

I have to admit that I'm not very conscientious when it comes to tutorials. I learn by doing, and as soon as I've grasped enough of a subject to come up with a project or interest of my own, I'm off and skipping around, googling up a storm. It doesn't help me cover the material thoroughly, but what I do learn sticks.

I already scooped myself on practice system news in my previous post. It's time for me to admit that I've been working with my practice system all along, doing the exercises in parallel. I know just enough about OS installation and networking to have not gotten myself in trouble. I did have to re-burn the Ubuntu disk once, but other than that it's been smooth sailing all the way. I'm not building any character at all...and the gremlins are late to the party.

This late, late post has been back-dated to keep things in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment