6.17.2010

Colonel Panic comes to visit...

...but at least he didn't bring his adjutant, Major Issue.
For those of us working with VMWare on MacBooks, a lesson learned:
My laptop is my primary machine at work as well as at home, so I rarely shut it down. It goes for weeks at a time, sleeping and waking several times a day. I didn't think twice about sleeping it with VMWare open and the virtual machine suspended, until last night. When I opened the lid at home, a smooth translucent gray shade dropped down over my desktop, and this soothing message appeared:



A first for me in OS X!
Step one, as always, was to Google Up (on another machine). That's how I discovered that this was Apple's civilized way of presenting a kernel panic, which I'd only seen in its raw Linux command line form. Most of the links I found referred to RAM problems, but my configuration's been stable for a long time, so I was ready to look for a different culprit. I rebooted and browsed my way through Apple's ample crash reporting dialogs. Choosing "More Details" took me eventually to the right log file in Console, and there were VMWare's footprints, all over the house.


So, short story long, I'm shutting the virtual machine down and closing VMWare before sleeping now, and the Colonel seems to have moved on.

No comments:

Post a Comment